Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Decorate with children in mind

Top Safety TipsIf you decorate a tree, avoid these top decorating mistakes: Do not put ornaments that have small parts or metal hooks, or look like food or candy, on the lower branches where small children can reach them.Natural trees always involve some risk of fire. To minimize the risk, get a fresh tree and keep it watered at all times. Do not put the tree within three feet of a fireplace, space heater, radiator or heat vent.Never leave a lit tree or other decorative lighting display unattendedInspect lights for exposed or frayed wires, loose connections and broken sockets.Do not overload extension cords or outlets and do not run an electrical cord under a rug.Do not burn tree branches, treated wood or wrapping paper in a home fireplace. Mistletoe berries, Holly Berry and Jerusalem Cherry can be poisonous. If they are used in decorating, make sure children and pets cannot reach it.Artificial snow can be harmful if inhaled, so use it in a well-vented space.Keep alcohol, including baking extracts, out of reach and do not leave alcoholic drinks unattended.In a poison emergency, call the national Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222.